Monday 26 October 2009

My book for review - Spent: Sex, Evolution and the Secrets of Consumerism.

A little behind here I think! I’ve chosen Spent: Sex, Evolution and the Secrets of Consumerism by Geoffrey Miller. The author is an evolutionary psychologist who examines how our individual and social evolution have led us to use the things we buy to express our “fitness” – to show our intelligence, personality, wealth, health and basically anything that will help us survive and propagate.

I chose this book because I’m interested in how evolution has created the marvels of nature that surround (and include) us. I’ve read popular books on the subject before, but know very little about human psychological and social evolution – the memes passed down I guess. Understanding consumption in these terms is something I want to find out about.

1 comment:

  1. excellent - maybe you'll come up with some ideas about how we can advertise our reproductive fitness in ways that don;t involve consumption!

    ReplyDelete